Updates for TS Tonyo (Etau) and TD Ulysses as of 5:00 AM, November 9, 2020
TROPICAL STORM “TONYO” IS NOW OUTSIDE THE PHILIPPINE AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY (PAR).
“TONYO” intensified into a tropical storm at 2:00 AM today and left the Philippine Area of Responsibility at 4:00 AM. The storm is forecast to continue moving generally westward over the West Philippine Sea towards the southern portion of Vietnam, where it is likely to make landfall tomorrow morning or afternoon.
Meanwhile, the LOW PRESSURE AREA EAST OF MINDANAO HAS DEVELOPED INTO TROPICAL DEPRESSION “ULYSSES”.
Track and Intensity Outlook
On the forecast track, Tropical Depression “ULYSSES” will move generally northwestward tonight through Tuesday morning. Afterwards, it is forecast to turn westward and head towards the Bicol Region. A landfall over the Bicol Region area on Wednesday is likely at this time.
Over the next three days, “ULYSSES” is forecast to intensify and is likely to reach Tropical Storm category within 24 to 36 hours. It may reach Typhoon category on Wednesday prior to landfall.
Location of eye/center At 10:00 PM yesterday, the center of Tropical Depression “ULYSSES” was estimated based on all available data at 800 km East of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur (09.0°N, 133.6°E).
Strength Maximum sustained winds of 45 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 55 km/h.
Movement Moving Northwestward at 15 km/h.
• 24 Hour (Tomorrow evening): 655 km East of Borongan City, Eastern Samar (12.4°N, 131.4°E)
• 48 Hour (Tuesday evening):400 km East of Virac, Catanduanes (14.2°N, 127.9°E)
• 72 Hour (Wednesday evening): 75 km Northeast of Virac, Catanduanes (14.0°N, 124.8°E)
• 96 Hour (Thursday evening):240 km West Northwest of Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro (13.9°N, 119.0°E)
• 120 Hour (Friday evening):765 km West of Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro (OUTSIDE PAR) (13.9°N, 114.1°E)
NO TROPICAL CYCLONE WIND SIGNAL